The King's Marquee

Election Day is finally here! Let's get out there an seal the deal for Trump and the American people! And don't forget to support the CTGOP under-ticket!

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Franziskaner Weissbier: The beer of choice!

People have asked, "King, what is your beer of choice?"

This is a tough question because The King finds that there are plenty of excellent choices amongst the world's beers. In fact, I often will make my decisions for which I beer I choose based on my mood, the season, the weather, and general purpose (i.e. what do I want out of my adult beverage?).

To the right is probably my favorite beer - if given the choice of one beer upon notice that it would be my last: it is Franziskaner Weissbier (Hefe-Weisse style) brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu GmbH out of Munich, Germany. The beer is incredibly refreshing and tasty. It cannot be consumed directly out of the bottle, but rather poured properly into a Weissbier glass (see Ron Kwas' site for specific directions on how to do this properly). The beer is full and slightly heavy. I break the normal tradition of drinking this beer without tampering with its perfection by sometimes adding a slice of lemon to it. I learned this from actual Germans so in some respect, I think it's not a taboo.

I've been drinking this beer for close to 18 years now. For whatever reason, I always come back to it as a staple of perfection for days when I need a boast, or I'm home relaxing on the back porch. My Frau (wife) enjoys the darker version of the Franziskaner Weissbier, which is also quite delicious. But once you start with it, its hard to move to another beer since the taste is so strong.

Weissbier comes in a lot of varieties and brands. People argue on end about which one is best and it is really just a matter of personal taste and preference. There are some American versions of Weissbier that are simply terrible (UFO for example). These beers are a poor imitation of the real thing. If you purchase beer on price, than you might as well drink water because that's what you tend to get when you pick as substitute like UFO.

Franziskaner is fruity, full, and yet light at the same time. It also helps with allergy season due to the "hefe" which is said to dampen the effects of pollen and other airborne and respitory aggravants.

And 50 cents isn't worth the savings to be satisfied, and enjoy a proper beer.

Life is too short to drink cheap, unsophisticated beer. Try a Franziskaner and let me know what you think.

No comments: